Our (US) $s at work.

taharka res00vl8 at alltel.net
Sun Jul 31 17:02:46 UTC 2005

Now I have a question,
Jeff Vian wrote:

>On Sun, 2005-07-31 at 09:49 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
>

>>On Sunday 31 July 2005 01:23, jdow wrote:
>>

>>>Regardless of all points taken in this discussion think a moment of
>>>the humor of the whole thing, please. The repair for Linux is one
>>>file that is not even an executable. For my case it's the usr share
>>>file: "/usr/share/zoneinfo/America/Los_Angeles"
>>>

>>And how would one go about fixing it?, mine
>>(/usr/share/zoneinfo/America/New_York) seems to be some compressed
>>format.
>>

>This does not need fixing.  When/if the date/time of the change between
>standard and daylight times changes, your timezone file (New York | Los
>Angeles | whatever) gets replaced/updated and it automagically happens
>at the proper time.
>
>That file as you both have listed tells the system when to switch times.
>There are many of those files on your system, one for each official time
>zone area around the world.

My file reads, "/usr/share/zoneinfo/America/Kentucky". Now, there are
two selections in that directory, Louisville & Monticello. I have
selected Louisville for my time zone. Suppose I wanted to make a copy of
the Louisville file, modify it to suite my taste (bear in mind, the
format") & save the file as Lexington (which is where I am actually
located) in the /usr/share/zoneinfo/America/Kentucky directory. How do I
modify the compressed file? Or, do simply copy the Louisville file &
rename it to Lexington?

>>>Now think of what this will probably mean for all the "high powered"
>>>Windows 2003 servers out there that the "smart IT managers"
>>>

>>As we both know, 'smart' doesn't always equal intelligent...
>>

>>>have
>>>installed on their huge server farms. I bet it requires them all to
>>>be rebooted for this one wee tiny fix. I just gotta snort with
>>>laughter.
>>>
>>>(And for what it is worth - why not simply adopt DST all year long?
>>>And of course, the way to do that is leave noon for a time zone
>>>with the Sun within a half hour of the zenith position and let the
>>>schools or work places shift their start times and stop times. But,
>>>that's too logical.)
>>>

>>Apply logic?  To a basicly human condition problem?  That would be
>>totally out of character for TPTB.  I'd fall over from shock if that
>>ever happened with enough regularity to get used to it.
>>

>>>{^_-}

taharka

Lexington, Kentucky U.S.A.