Yum and EXTRAS

Michael Schwendt mschwendt.tmp0501.nospam at arcor.de
Wed Jun 1 20:02:56 UTC 2005

On Tue, 31 May 2005 08:55:30 +0100, Andy Green wrote:

> Paul Howarth wrote:
>
> |>probably a reasonable situation.  However AIUI Extras will not cooperate
> |>with the Dag/RPMforge repos for example, which do offer mplayer, about
>
> | Packages in Fedora Extras are built with the knowledge that third
> | parties will be wanting to provide things like MP3 support (and indeed
> | that users demand it), so it's likely that livna (which has historically
> | been compatible with fedora.us/Extras) will fill that gap nicely.
>
> Seems strange that it was not possible to cooperate with Dag,

?? Do you refer to Dag's not so friendly paragraph in his FAQ?  Or is your
message based on any other sources? We have June 2005, and I'm tired of
hearing such complaints. Feel free to travel back in time and dig deep in
the various list archives. Feasible solutions have never been found.

> which has
> provided many fine and high quality packages to me in the past, but it
> is possible to find harmony with Livna.  The effect is that Livna is
> anointed by Redhat one-step-removed as the slightly Official vendor of
> Forbidden Fruit when they provide Extras .repo enabled by default...

No, that is not true. Fedora Extras is part of the Fedora Project. Any 3rd
party repository like rpm.livna.org may choose to build upon Fedora Extras
and Fedora Core and extend the set of packages.

> and
> that Dag is frozen out from Redhat's "warm" embrace.

How? Where?

Just like rpm.livna.org or freshrpms.net, Dag's repository cannot
be enabled by default and cannot be recommended either (contributory
infringement and the likes).