web multimedia procols.

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Wed Jun 1 20:39:44 UTC 2005

Robin Laing wrote:

> I have the codecs installed and tried to open them in mplayer by using
> the url.  It didn't want to work.  I will play with it some more.
>
> I would like to have them open with either mplayer plugin or something
> within mozilla.  I was looking for the mime type to do this as well. It
> would be easier as these are part of a bigger package and the links are
> provided as part of the lesson.
>
> I may have dones something wrong as it was close to the end of the
> working day.
>
> I will give the various tools a try with the URL as I have some time today.
>
> I did take the time to email the providers of the packages and complain
> as one of the software packages that I am trying to learn is Linux based.

Well I tried videolan client, xine and mplayer but none would work.  I
didn't get any messages from any of the links.

  mplayer mms://trog.ni.com/ni/webevents/lv/lv_datastorage_fast.wmv
  xine mms://trog.ni.com/ni/webevents/lv/lv_datastorage_fast.wmv

Now I don't know if I have an issue with firewalls or serverside
restrictions.  At least xine gave me a message that xine failed to
open the mrl.

More testing.

--
Robin Laing