booting parameters in Grub

Scott talbotscott at cox.net
Sat Jun 4 23:32:01 UTC 2005

On 5/25/05, akonstam at trinity.edu <akonstam at trinity.edu> wrote:

>>On Wed, May 25, 2005 at 05:35:24PM +0530, Ninad Bapat wrote:
>>

>>>Hi
>>>  I installed FC3 and everything ws working fine. The other day I installed
>>>Debian sarge it overwrote the GRUB installed by FC3
>>>Now when I try to boot into FC3 it boots but gives an error half way while
>>>booting
>>> what is the exact boot line to be given with the extra parameters at the
>>>end for e.g./dev/vmlinuz.... ro rgb etc
>>> Thanks and Regards
>>>Ninad Bapa
>>>Glenn Story wrote:
>>>

>>You might be able to retrieve the parameters using a method such as this:
>>
>>1.  Boot Debian.  (This assumes you can do that successfully.)
>>2.  From Debian mount the /boot partition from your fedora system.
>>3.  Now you can read the menu.lst file or grub.conf (normally one is a
>>link to the other).
>>
>>You you can copy the commands from the Fedora grub.conf to the
>>corresponding entries in the Debian grub.conf.
>>
>>-- Glenn

    You might like this solution a little better:

    Boot from fedora disk 1
    Type linux rescue
    Follow the screen prompts 'til you get where the screen tells you to
enter the command chroot /sys/img
    after performing the chroot re-install grub into the fedora-root
partition using: grub-install /dev/hda? where x is the partition number
    Exit from fedora by typing exit <enter>

    Reboot into Debian, fire up your favorite editor:
    vim /boot/grub/menu.lst

add the appropriate lines, so:
title Fedora
rootnoverify(hd0,x)
chainloader+1

Note that x in line rootnoverify is 1 number lower than the /dev/hda?
due to grub counting partitions from 0

Now when you reboot you will have the option of booting into Debian or
Fedora and (the reason this method is so good)
when you update your kernel, it will be put into Fedora's /boot
partition instead of Debian's

Note that you may have to alter the Grub menu.lst file if debian's
kernel install changes it.  OR you may want to read up
on Grub for there is an option that will make whatever title selected
the default for for next boot.

Scott