Can you access a FAT32 drive?

Gavin Henry ghenry at suretecsystems.com
Sun Jun 5 22:10:08 UTC 2005

On Saturday 04 Jun 2005 00:40, Tom W. wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-06-04 at 00:02 +0100, Gavin Henry wrote:
> > Hi Tom,
> >
> > There are many ways to do this.
> >
> > The first question I would ask is where is this data to go?
>
> He would like to retrieve photos, documents, etc. and then reformat the
> other six gig drive to a linux partition as well.
> thanks
> Tom

Sat your Windows partition is on /dev/hda1 and it is a FAT32 partition, the
basic configuration for your /etc/fstab should be:
File: /etc/fstab

/dev/hda1   /mnt/c   vfat   defaults   0 0

where:

    * /dev/hda1 is the partition
    * /mnt/c is the mountpoint where the partition will be available after
mounting
    * vfat is the file system type
    * defaults is the option to be passed to mount
    * 0 0 is related to file system integrity test (no test with 0 0)

so, as root, type mount /mnt/c after first creating it:

mkdir /mnt/c

--
Kind Regards,

Gavin Henry.