mysql version in FC3

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Mon Jun 6 07:21:25 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-06-05 at 20:45 -0400, Bob Hartung wrote:
> Hi all,
>    I am stumbling around trying to learn PHP & MySQL.  FC3, as of the
> latest updates, is using mysql-server-3.23.58-16, etc.  I note that the
> recommended version to use, according to the MySQL site is 4.11.  I see
> no identifiable RPMs for FC3 with this version numbering.
>
>    Is there a reason for the delay in updating MySQL RPMs for FC3 or
> should I just go ahead to rpmfind.net and grab the 4.11 versions that
> are just listed as being for Fedora Core (version not specified). Note
> that the older RPMs are listed as specifically for FC3.
>
>    This is a little confusing to me.  My tutorial is all based on MySQL
> ver. >4.

FC3 included MySQL v3.x because of licensing issues with v4.x that have
since been resolved. However, since a large number of packages in FC3
are built against MySQL v3.x, updating to v4.x in FC3 would require
updating many, many packages, potentially causing a lot of problems. In
general, distributions do not do major version upgrades of any package,
let alone one tied into as many other packages as MySQL, until the next
release of the distribution. So you'll find that it'll be FC4 (due out
next week) that contains the first official "Fedora" package of MySQL
4.x.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>