how can you verify that the site you get is not a fake?

bruce bedouglas at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 6 13:48:31 UTC 2005

matt, i unsderstand what you're saying...

but i still don't see how this protects/allows a user to 'know' that th site
he's on is the correct site...

as an example. i go to the verisign site (www.verisign.com) i can select the
verisign logo, which displays a pop-up. i read it, it looks good.. i think
i'm secure...

however, there's nothing that i look at, that couldn't be forged/faked by
you or i with the right web app knowledge...

i understand that the 'ssl/lock' is a function of the browser and is
supposed to be used to present details of the ssl certificate employed... i
also understand that the lock function is a component of the browser...
however, this asumes the user knows to click on the 'lock'. if i were to
provide a fake 'picture/icon' for the user to select, such that it displayed
the fake ssl information, in all likelyhood, the user wouldn't know the
difference..

-bruce