linux newbie question re: usb

Bob Chiodini rchiodin at bellsouth.net
Tue Jun 7 16:54:20 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-06-07 at 17:29 +0100, James Wilkinson wrote:
> Tom W. wrote:
> > When I try and sync my Sony through gnome-pilot, my mouse freezes. I
> > think my digital camera does this as well. I have to reboot before I get
> > my USB mouse back.
> >
> > Any ideas on how I can fix this?
>
> Odd.
>
> What sort of "Sony" do you have? Presumably it's not a camera: is it an
> MP3 player? A memory stick?
>
> What sort of computer do you have? What does
> lspci | grep USB
> return? How about
> lsusb
> with the mouse and camera plugged in? And
> lsmod | grep hci
>
> Are you using any sort of hubs? Can you try different USB ports?
>
> Very much a work-around: try unplugging your USB mouse and plugging it
> back in again. This will cause the OS to re-detect it. (This works for
> me in Windows 2000, too).
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> James.
> --
> E-mail address: james | Remember, half-measures can be very effective if
> @westexe.demon.co.uk  | all you deal with are half-wits.

Presumably, a Clie?  I have the same problem with a Zaurus.  Sometimes,
quite often, my Logitech USB trackball stops working after USB
networking starts to the Zaurus.

I can unplug the mouse and plug it back in to make it functional.  This
has been a problem for me since RH9 and on two different computers.  The
latest, an AMD64.  lspci shows a Nvidia Host Bridge.  The earlier
machine was an Athlon.  I think this had a Via Host Bridge.

In both configurations there is an external 4 port USB hub, but it does
not seem to matter whether the trackball is connected to the external
hub or one of the motherboard ports.

In my case, two different computers, two different chipsets, same hub
and same trackball.  More than likely it's the trackball.

Bob...