sendmail startup scripts

Bryan Hepworth bryan at redfedora.co.uk
Thu Jun 9 07:50:05 UTC 2005

Hi Everyone

This is a general question so please bear with me on this request...

I had to install an antivirus product on the two sendmail servers we have at work. The installation and subsequent capture of viruses works fine but I'm not happy with the startup procedure, which could have been a bit more refined.

To start everything running you need the listener to start all in the following order:-

/usr/sbin/sendmail -bd -q10m -C /etc/mail/sendmail.cf.listen
/usr/sbin/sendmail -q10m -C /etc/mail/sendmail.cf
/usr/sbin/sendmail -q10m -C /etc/mail/submit.cf

I'd really like this to happen in the startup scripts /etc/init.d rather than stopping all the services and restarting one by one. It's more of an automation so that if the box did fall over they would all come back up on boot with no manual intervention.

My scripting knowledge is so far pretty poor so I'd really appreciate some constructive pointers on the scripts themselves and integrating things like this.

Antivirus product is Kaspersky for unix servers

Thanks

Bry