Java and Mozilla

Boris Glawe boris at boris-glawe.de
Thu Jun 9 19:12:49 UTC 2005

Langer, Christian wrote:

>I am having trouble with Java Runtime Environment 1.4.2  It is installed
>ok, but whenever I get to a web page that uses Java, the browser just
>shuts down. Any thoughts?  I am using Mozilla.

There is known "problem"

If you copy the plugin file
(/usr/java/jdk1.5.0_03/jre/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so in my
case) to the plugin directory, the browser segfaults as it happens in
your case.

You should make a softlink from java's plugin file to mozilla's plugin
directory instead. In my case the command is

ln -s /usr/java/jdk1.5.0_03/jre/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so
/usr/lib/firefox-1.0.4/plugins/

Another way to install the plugin for one user only is to softlink the
plugin file to the plugin directory of the user (~/.mozilla/plugins)

greets Boris