FC3 x86_64 problems

leeward at msa.attmil.ne.jp leeward at msa.attmil.ne.jp
Mon Jun 13 03:52:24 UTC 2005

>Problems with X are due to video drivers or configuration. So there
>is no need to revert to the 32-bit version or back to FC2. In fact,
>you probably ought to wait a couple of days here and get FC4. That
>will keep you from having to download massive amounts of updates.
>What video driver are you using? It is the nv driver if you have not
>done anything to it. I suggest that you get the binary nVidia drivers
>from their website and install them. I'm not sure if the nv driver
>that shipped with FC3 supports the newer 6600 card or not.
>Another thing to check out is sync frequencies. Are you using a CRT
>or LCD monitor? Weird display patterns are most likely caused by
>incorrect frequencies. You need to edit the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf
>Boot to run-level 3 to avoid starting X or after booting to run-level
>5 press Ctrl+Alt+F1, login as root, and type "init 3" to achieve the
>same result. From there you can look at and edit the file. If you
>need help with that, send the contents of that file to the list.
>
>Jonathan

Well, the thing was I had the i386 version on here and it worked fine
with the video card. Then again, it had the driver already on here from
a previous GeForce card. I can't install the binaries yet or drop down
to a console. The install wasn't completed. It's trying to get me to
the post-install config. When I drop down to the 1st console, all it
shows me is some of the services it's started and that's it. I can't
do anything more there except ctrl-alt-del. Something I meant to ask in
the first e-mail (and forgot) was, how do you get init 3 started with
grub (and since it's in the post-install phase, will it work?)?
Hmm....Maybe I'll just download FC4-test and see what happens.

Lee