Preparing my system for upgrade to FC4

STYMA, ROBERT E (ROBERT) stymar at lucent.com
Mon Jun 13 14:34:47 UTC 2005

> > Don't forget your mailbox too in /var/spool/mail :) A few times I
> > asked to reformat my /var (when I chose to re-install) and forgot
> > about my INBOX :)
>
> OK, Thanks for your answers, I am going for the update then.
> To be sure not to loose anything, is there any "quick system backup"
> tool for configuration files around ?

I would recommend tar'ing a copy of /etc somewhere.  If the upgrade
goes haywire and you end up installing from scratch, the tarball makes
a great reference for getting various settings correct.  You cannot
just untar /etc, but the values will be really helpful.  Also, if you
are using Samba as a PDC you will need your smbpasswd file so you don't
have to set all the accounts up.  Again this is only if the upgrade fizzles.

Bob Styma