Dual Boot Problem

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Tue Jun 14 20:51:21 UTC 2005

Jessica L. Veltman wrote:

>>Try booting with a Windows XP CD and running 'fixmbr' in the recovery
>>console.  That removes any instances of GRUB from the MBR.  I had this
>>same problem, and after I did that and re-installed Fedora, GRUB
>>re-installed itself to the MBR, and it worked fine.
>>
>>Let me know if you do that and it doesn't work, or if it does for that
>>

>matter!
>

>>--
>>PHP rocks!
>>"Knowledge is Power.  Power Corrupts.  Go to school, become evil"
>>
>>Disclaimer: Any disclaimer attached to this message may be ignored.
>>However, I must say that the ENTIRE contents of this message are
>>subject to other's criticism, corrections, and speculations.
>>
>>This message is Certified Virus Free
>>

>I tried doing all of that, but the results were the same. After the
>installation restarted, my computer booted straight into Windows again.

Grub comes up using a hidden menu feature by default. The timing is set
to 3 seconds or something low. When XP is set as the default boot loader
and you have a quck booting computer with a CRT monitor, you do not see
the grub screen at all. Try hitting a space bar during your computer
booting. This should display the hidden menu.

It sounds like grub should have installed correctly. I do remember an
instance during development where I could not get a bootloader to
install or work. This was on a computer with Phoenix BIOS. I only tried
the install once on this computer and set it aside. This might be some
grub boot loader problem with the version of grub on FC4. I believe
there are bug reports filed on this issue. I am not sure the bugs were
worked out or are still open. Try searching Bugzilla for grub problems
related to not installing as intended.

Jim

--
The best things in life go on sale sooner or later.