FC4 - no sound with Intel 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW

Norman Gaywood norm at turing.une.edu.au
Wed Jun 15 09:40:26 UTC 2005

On Wed, Jun 15, 2005 at 11:27:01AM +0200, Alexander Apprich wrote:
> >On Wed, Jun 15, 2005 at 06:10:52PM +1000, Norman Gaywood wrote:
> >However, any other attempt to get sound seems to fail:
> >
> >$ play info.wav
> >sox: Unable to reset OSS driver.  Possibly accessing an invalid file/device
>
> I might be wrong, but could you pls check the permissions on /dev/dsp
> also, Fedora uses also per default. Try another audio player maybe xmms
> to play info.wav...

Thanks but I checked that. The permissions are correct I think:

$ ls -l /dev/dsp
-rw-------  1 norm root 0 Jun 15 19:08 /dev/dsp

The problem occurs when an ioctl is done on the sound device. If I do a:

strace -f play info.wav

I see later:

[pid 32345] open("/dev/dsp", O_WRONLY|O_CREAT|O_TRUNC|O_LARGEFILE, 0666) = 4
[pid 32345] ioctl(4, SNDCTL_DSP_RESET, 0) = -1 ENOTTY (Inappropriate ioctl for device)

Hence the 'Unable to reset OSS driver" message.

--
Norman Gaywood, Systems Administrator
School of Mathematics, Statistics and Computer Science

norm at turing.une.edu.au            Phone: +61 (0)2 6773 2412
http://turing.une.edu.au/~norm    Fax:   +61 (0)2 6773 3312