Totem not working

Jesse Jarzynka jesse at jessejoe.com
Wed Jun 15 15:15:05 UTC 2005

Todd Wease wrote:

>Thanks.  I should have explained the messages I was getting from the
>command line.  The first two messages occurred when starting Totem and
>they seem to have only to do with title lookups and it's right, the
>module doesn't exist.  I'm not really worried about that. And besides,
>I'm a little leary about reinstalling gnome-vfs as there are 112
>cascading dependencies which yum wants me to remove and rpm won't let me
>remove gnome-vfs because of the dependencies. (As an aside I'm new to
>the rpm package management system. If I used :: rpm -e --nodeps
>gnome-vfs2 :: would that just get rid of gnome-vfs2 and could I just
>re-rpm it without problems?) Anyway, it's the messages that occur when I
>try to play something that I'm worried about that aren't indicating any
>problem with gnome-vfs:
>
>** Message: don't know how to handle video/mpeg,
>systemstream=(boolean)true, mpegversion=(int)1
>** Message: don't know how to handle audio/x-wma, wmaversion=(int)2,
>bitrate=(int)64040, rate=(int)44100, channels=(int)2,
>block_align=(int)1487, codec_data=(buffer)008800000f00792e0000
>** Message: don't know how to handle video/x-wmv, wmvversion=(int)3,
>framerate=(double)25, width=(int)320, height=(int)240,
>codec_data=(buffer)4e791a01
>
>I can however play a CD, but the player spins like mad - a problem I'm
>having with the gnome CD player (XMMS plays CDs fine).

I had to yum remove totem, and then yum install totem-xine to get it to
play commercial files like mpg. I still can't play anything with either
totem or realplayer cuz I get :

[jesse at jesse ~]$ totem
*** attempt to put segment in horiz list twice
*** attempt to put segment in horiz list twice
video_out_xxmc: Unichrome CPU saving is off.
The program 'totem' received an X Window System error.
The error was 'BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)'.
  (Details: serial 71 error_code 11 request_code 140 minor_code 19)

But I think that might be cuz of my crappy video card. -Jesse