ncftpd on fc3 malfunctioning?

kristina clair kclair at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 18:35:40 UTC 2005

On 6/15/05, Alexander Dalloz <ad+lists at uni-x.org> wrote:
> Am Mi, den 15.06.2005 schrieb kristina clair um 19:46:
>
> > Has anyone else had any problems with some ftp clients and ncftpd on
> > fc3?  We upgraded some of our servers from redhat 7.3 to fc3, and
> > several popular windows ftp clients encounter connection errors when
> > connecting to the fc3 servers, but not to the redhat 7.3 servers.  My
> > command-line ftp client works fine for both.
>
> > Kristina
>
> Any chance it is a firewalling / iptables problem - you checked that?
>
> http://www.ncftp.com/ncftpd/doc/faq/trouble.html
> -->
> Users are unable to login.  How do I diagnose the problem?
>
> Alexander

If it were a firewall problem, shouldn't ALL connections be refused?
I'm always able to connect from the command line ftp on my personal
computer.

Also, we use a shared passwd/shadow file across all of our servers.
So if the password in /etc/shadow was bad, I would think that the
redhat 7.3 boxes would also be responding with password errors.

I don't think it's a password problem, though.  According to the
verbose logs, the users are able to log in, but once they issue a
command, their ftp programs disconnect with no error logs on our end.
And yes, they are using passive mode :).

Thanks,
Kristina

--
kristina clair,