2 computer network from Wi-Fi

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Wed Jun 15 19:31:07 UTC 2005

THUFIR HAWAT wrote:
> I don't have physical access to the router which provides the internet
> access.  an asus wl-330g,
> <http://usa.asus.com/products/communication/wireless/wl-330g/overview.htm>,
> provides
> the connection to the router.  the wl-330g has been tested, and works,
> in both eth0 and eth1 for the arrakis computer.
>
> there are two computers, named arrakis and caladan.  the setup is:
>
> internet        -->  router
> router          -->  wireless signal
> wireless signal -->  wl-330g network adapter
> wl-330g         -->  arrakis eth0
> arrakis eth1    -->  hub
> hub             -->  caladan eth1
> hub             -->  PAP2
> PAP2            -->  telephone
>
> the PAP2 <http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?prid=651&scid=38>
> is for VOIP and is from <http://www.telnetphone.ca/>.
>
> does arrakis need to be configured as a gateway?

If you want arrakis to forward packets from eth1 to eth0, you need to
enable IP forwarding.  Its a kernel parameter, and can be specified in
your /etc/sysctl.conf by adding the following lines:

> # Controls IP packet forwarding
> net.ipv4.ip_forward = 1

(without the "> " parts)

Make sure to reboot your kernel after adding those lines, *or*

/sbin/sysctl net.ipv4.ip_forward=1

to make it happen immediately.  This will allow packets from caladan to
be forwarded through arrakis to the internet.  Caution:  routers beyond
arrakis *must* know how to route back to caladan!  If they don't
recognize the IP address, you won't get a packets back!  If this is the
case, you might be able to get around that by enabling masquarading
(NAT) on arrakis.  Then caladan's packets will be sent out with arrakis'
IP address as the return point, and arrakis will forward any return
packets to caladan.  NAT must be enabled in arrakis' iptables
configuration.  I used the following rules:

> # iptables -L -t nat
> Chain PREROUTING (policy ACCEPT)
>
> Chain POSTROUTING (policy ACCEPT)
> MASQUERADE  all  --  anywhere             anywhere
>
> Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

and my computer forwards and NATs the computers on my home and USB
networks.....

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at rcn.com