partition labels

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Thu Jun 16 15:00:23 UTC 2005

Duncan Lithgow wrote:
>>>I've messed up by not giving things
>>>different labels. Does that sound right?
>>
>>It's conceivable. Another possibility is that the disk or filesystem has
>>serious errors and the kernel is quickly marking it read-only so as
>>avoid further corruption.
>

> If that's the case how would I know? Remember it was running perfectly
> until i installed ubuntu - which still runs fine.

Do you share partitions between Ubuntu and Fedora at all, e.g. mount a
Fedora partition in Ubuntu?

If the kernel is remounting a partition read-only, you should see a
kernel error message to that effect, either on the console and/or in
/var/log/messages

>> > but on to FC4...
>>
>>>When I install FC4 shall I make sure each partition has a unique
>>>label? Like / could be Label=fc4-base or something?
>>
>>If you're doing an upgrade, anaconda will probably leave the filesystem
>>labels as they are. If you delete the existing partitions and create new
>>ones, anaconda will not (I believe) create partition labels that are
>>duplicates of existing partition labels. I don't think you get to
>>specify what the partition labels are.
>

> Well I can in qtparted - so shall I? Then I could make label=/fc and
> /home-fc etc. I would make it easier for me, but does it effect
> anything else?

You'd need to make the same changes in /etc/fstab if it references
partition by names (LABEL= syntax). Other than that you should be OK to
change things.

Paul.