How to Install Xfce on FC4?

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Fri Jun 17 02:43:52 UTC 2005

Basil Copeland wrote:

>>try
>>yum install "xfce*"
>>
>>It is working for me to pull in xfce and the related programs.
>>
>>Jim
>>
>>=============================================================================
>>Install     22 Package(s)
>>Update       0 Package(s)
>>Remove       0 Package(s)
>>Total download size: 8.2 M
>>Is this ok [y/N]: y
>>Downloading Packages:
>>(1/22): xfce-mcs-plugins- 100% |=========================| 415 kB    00:02
>>

>If you go back and look at my first message, that's the first thing I
>did.  But I didn't get the same result.  I got the error:

I missed that portion of your posting before commenting. After
re-reading your post, I saw your command, which did not use quotes in
the entry.
I am fairly new to yum. I did have problems with entering package*
compared to quoting like "package*". The problem that I had was it tried
to pull packages and files within the directory where the command was
given. I later adopted quoting the wildcard included commands.

 I don't know if
yum install package*
differs in operation with
yum install "package*"
or not. There may not be any different actions taken either way.

>"xfce-mcs-manager = 4.2.1-3.fc4 is needed by package
>xfce-mcs-manager-devel".

I have xfce-mcs-manager-devel-4.2.2-1.fc4 installed

>I couldn't get past this until Idid  "yum install
>xfce-mcs-manager-devel".  That pulled in a couple of dependencies, and
>then "yum install xfce*" found 17 packages. (versus your 22).  But
>when it went to install them, I kept getting errors about packages
>being unsigned.
>
>So, what did you do differently to overcome the problem with the
>unsigned packages?
>
>I've reported this to bugzilla, and we've already got a dialog going
>about a larger problem: "yum install xfce*"  -- even when it works --
>isn't going to get everything because some of the pieces of a complete
>xfce install do not have "xfce" in their name or a dependency to
>something with "xfce" in the name (xffm is one that doesn't get pulled
>in by yum).

I noted that xffm was missing after querying rpm after this posting
mentioning the program.

yum install xffm imports dbh also.

I have a system that was a fresh install of FC4T3 which I switched over
to FC4 after reading someone having rpm (the program) errors. The
problem might be due to a backwards  shift in packages that is not
complete. This is a guess, but both installed.
Running Transaction
  Installing: xffm                         ######################### [2/2]

Installed: xffm.i386 0:4.2.2-1.fc4
Dependency Installed: dbh.i386 1:1.0.24-1.fc4
Complete!

Jim