NIS, root access

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Fri Jun 17 21:19:08 UTC 2005

On Fri, Jun 17, 2005 at 04:15:04PM +0100, Dan Track wrote:
> Hi
>
> Got a slight problem on my workstation. Basically when fedora boots up
> sometimes NIS doesn't get started, so when the login prompt appears I
> try to login as any user even root but the system won't let me in. The
> only way in is to reboot and hope NIS works or reboot to single user
> mode and turn of NIS. Does anyone know why I can't login in as root
> when NIS is down even though the root password in stored on my
> workstation and not in NIS.
>
> Thanks
> Dan
Does you NID Makefile on the server limit the user_id below which NIS
does not serve the account. If so you may have the root passwd stored
on the server not the client.

Believe everything you hear about the world; nothing is too impossibly bad.
		-- Honor'e de Balzac
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University