fc4 vs virtual terminals?

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sat Jun 18 02:51:36 UTC 2005

Aaron Gaudio wrote:

>  On Thu, 2005-06-16 at 15:28 -0700, K. Richard Pixley wrote:
>
> > Can anyone tell me what happened to the virtual terminals which
> > previously were located on ctrl-alt-f1 & friends?
> >
> > In fc4, all of the virtual terminals appear to be displaying a neon
> > green frame, but no text, no getty, no way to access the machine
> > aside from X11, (which appears to be broken).
> >
> > I don't see anything in the release notes about this either.
>

>  I was having lockup problems with the NVidia driver and my Geforce2
>  MX, and in trying to fix them I attempted to turn off AGP using
>  'Option nvagp "0"' in the xorg.conf file. This didn't stop the
>  lockups, but after restarting the X server it did fsck up all my
>  virtual consoles. Rebooting and moving to the open source 'nv' driver
>  fixed both issues (but now I have no 3D :( )

You can try using the libvgahw.a from an FC3 version of x and replacing
the FC4
/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libvgahw.a
with the version from FC3.

It works for Intel, somewhat for MGA. It would be interesting if it
reduces problems w/ the nvidia driver also.

Just curious!
(save the original file of libvgahw.a before replacing it with the FC3
version. You will need to reboot the system to clear up the missing
terminals)

Jim

--
You don't have to be nice to people on the way up if you're not planning on
coming back down.