Please post fedora.repo

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Sat Jun 18 15:23:43 UTC 2005

Am Sa, den 18.06.2005 schrieb John Miller um 14:55:

> Alexander Dalloz wrote:
>
> > rm -rf ./etc
>
> Just a gentle reminder: for reasons of safety, particularly when giving
> "recipe" instructions, it's better to use a full path in connection with
> 'rm -rf' (for reasons I know I don't need to explain to you, Alexander).
>
> In this case, it would be
>
> rm -rf /var/tmp/etc

> John Miller

Thanks John for the pointer. You are right that users running any "rm
-rf ..." command should be very careful. An "rm -rf . /etc" can lead to
exit to hell - at least when running this with root's permissions. Your
suggestion that I had better used absolute paths within my small code
example is valid and good.

On the other hand it is a benefit for shell users if the know about the
meaning of

. or ./ or / as first, sometimes single path elements

Alexander

Fedora Core 2 GNU/Linux on Athlon with kernel 2.6.11-1.27_FC2smp
Serendipity 17:14:11 up 25 days, 15:51, load average: 0.05, 0.10, 0.09