Need assist - FC4 and DELL Inspiron 8100 - Video - nvidia GeForce2

Jonathan Berry berryja at gmail.com
Sun Jun 19 00:53:54 UTC 2005

On 6/18/05, david feldman <wb0gaz at hotmail.com> wrote:
> I am trying to install NVIDIA's accellerated graphics driver version
> 1.0-7664(appears to be latest)  from their (nvidia.com) website to enable X
> on a Dell Inspiron 8100 (default install gives me 800x600 but it appears it
> is not aware of the machine's video adapter.)
>
> nvidia's linux driver's install program tells me there is no "pre-compiled
> kernel interface" (presumably for FC4's kernel which in my system is
> 2.6.11-1.1369_FC4, unmodified from an initial install.
>
> There is information that leads you down the path of compiling a new kernel
> interface, but I'd like to avoid re-inventing that wheel if someone already
> has done that, and/or solved getting X on this particular machine.
>
> Very grateful for any assist...
>
> Dave
> wb0gaz at hotmail.com

Hi Dave,

This is normal.  nVidia provides a very limited number of the
pre-compiled kernel interfaces and I've never seen it actually use one
of those.  As long as you have the kernel headers package
(kernel-devel package) it should work just fine.  It's not
re-inventing the wheel, it's just compiling the interface :).  It
shouldn't take but a couple of minutes and it will do everything for
you.  In fact, if you run the nVidia installer with the -s option, it
won't even ask you any questions.

Jonathan