Find Warning..

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sun Jun 19 13:52:33 UTC 2005

Temlakos wrote:

> Nifty Hat Mitch wrote:

>>> Running find on /proc is bound to cause problems. /proc is not a real
>>> filesystem it is simulated filesystem created by the kernel to hold
>>> various characteristics of your system.
>>

>> This does seem to be a harmless bug in the /proc filesystem.
>>
>> When I first saw this I dismissed it as the fast moving nature of the
>> /proc filesystem.  Find can often toss out errors because what it
>> found and
>> what it 'sees'  (stat etc.) might not match or even still be a moment
>> later.
>>

>> find: WARNING: Hard link count is wrong for /proc: this may be a bug
>> in your filesystem driver.  Automatically turning on find's -noleaf
>> option.  Earlier results may have failed to include directories that
>> should have been searched.
>> /proc
>> /proc/bluetooth
>>
>> But Looking a little bit closer...
>> # ls -lid /proc
>> 1 dr-xr-xr-x  140 root root 0 Jun 17 22:07 /proc
>> # ls -ali /proc | wc
>>     164    1636   11843
>>
>> So this is why find is tellig us that something is wrong.
>> There are 24 some 'things' that do not have an inode linked to
>> /proc itself.
>>
>> It is a pseudo filesystem intended to communicate to the user
>> various kernel and process info.   It should have all the
>> correctness of any filesystem so I suspect a real bug.
>>
>> As best I can tell this is harmless.
>>

> Are we talking about searching for files?
>
> Because if we are, /my/ problem is that invoking "Search for Files..."
> in the "Places" menu very often doesn't find the file that I know is
> on the system somewhere.
>
> Temlakos

Try changing the entry in updatedb.conf from =no to =yes. I don't like
the change, but changing the file entry works great to get your file
search functionality usable again. I use locate quite frequently.

You might want to run 'updatedb &' as root initially to get the file
search feature to be of some value.
Why this feature was disabled was to conserve battery life on laptops.
Prelink is a feature which puts my laptop into a frenzy, not updatedb.

cat /etc/updatedb.conf
# Set DAILY_UPDATE to yes to enable running updatedb
DAILY_UPDATE=yes

PRUNEFS="selinuxfs afs sfs auto iso9660 udf"
PRUNEPATHS="/tmp /usr/tmp /var/spool/cups /var/spool/squid /var/tmp /afs
/net /sfs /selinux /udev /media"

Jim

--
Prototype designs always work.