Window manager for power users?

Charles E Taylor IV tomalek at mindspring.com
Sun Jun 19 16:36:52 UTC 2005

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 08:56:43 -0700 (PDT)
Romain Kang <romain at kzsu.stanford.edu> wrote:

> I'll also mention that I really, really hate having metacity's dual
> top/bottom panels, even when they auto-hide, since that's real estate
> I'd rather be using for my own windows.

Is this one really a Metacity issue?  It seems that you could just delete
either the top or bottom Gnome panel and recvonfigure the remaining one to
your taste.

(My pet peeve with Metacity is that if you have a screen with a low
vertical resolution like you would find on a widescreen subnotebook, you
can sometimes get into a situation where you are not allowed to move a
window up off the top of the screeen so you can access buttons on the
bottom of said window.  It's a real usability problem for anyone with a
subnotebook, or just a small screen in general.)

How about using xfce's window manager?  That should be in Extras.

*  Charles Taylor <tomalek at mindspring.com>
*  Chemistry instructor / Mad scientist / Linux enthusiast!