Lost CD Drive

Don Flinn flinn at alum.mit.edu
Sun Jun 19 16:56:17 UTC 2005

I was about to burn CDs for FD4 and discover that my CD drive was
unavailable.  Further checking revealed that there is no cdrom in /media
nor in /mnt and checking /dev there is no cdrom.  The CD drive was
available a few weeks ago.  Now not even the CD Player can find the
drive, it gives Drive Error.

The hardware browser doesn't find the CD Drive.

Running cdrecord -scanbus gives the following:
[flinn at localhost ~]$ sudo cdrecord -scanbus
Password:
Cdrecord-Clone 2.01-dvd (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004 Jörg
Schilling
Note: This version is an unofficial (modified) version with DVD support
Note: and therefore may have bugs that are not present in the original.
Note: Please send bug reports or support requests to
http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla
Note: The author of cdrecord should not be bothered with problems in
this version.
scsidev: 'ATA'
devname: 'ATA'
scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
cdrecord: Invalid argument. SCSI unsupported with '/dev/hd*'. Cannot
open SCSI driver.
cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'.
cdrecord: For possible transport specifiers try 'cdrecord dev=help'.

Do I have to create a device in /dev ?

Any help would be appreciated.
Don

--