How to automatically mount?

Scott Talbot talbotscott at cox.net
Mon Jun 20 02:26:59 UTC 2005

Christopher J. Bottaro wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I just got an iAudio X5 (awesome player, return your iPods...;).  Its a UMD,
>so when I plug it in, the following entry automagically appears in
>my /etc/fstab:
>
>/dev/sdb1   /media/IAUDIO   vfat
>pamconsole,exec,noauto,iocharset=utf8,managed 0 0
>
>The problem is that only root can mount it, and furthermore, when root
>mounts it, root owns it and thus whoever I'm logged in as can't write to
>it.
>
>Whats even more weird is that if I edit that fstab entry to have the 'users'
>options, I still can't mount it as a normal user.
>
>Anyways, what I want is for the device to automatically be mounted when its
>plugged in and I want the owner to be whoever is logged into KDE at the
>moment.  Is that possible or too much to ask?
>
>Thank you very much for the help.

    Two choices:
The best (and sorry I don't have all the particulars) is to alter the
udev rules. You'll find tutorials at redhat.com or google udev.
Basically you need to alter the mount options to include the users
keyword, which will allow anyone to mount/umount a filesystem.
    Alternately you could take the choice to mount the device by adding
the users keyword yourself, and deleting the managed keyword so that
udev doesn't delete the line from fstab.  It won't automount (I think),
but you could easily write a script or open a terminal and mount it when
needed.

Scott