VOIP with a linksys PAP2

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 16:06:23 UTC 2005

On 6/15/05, THUFIR HAWAT <hawat.thufir at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6/14/05, Kevin J. Cummings <cummings at kjchome.homeip.net> wrote:
> > THUFIR HAWAT wrote:
> > > On 6/14/05, Kevin J. Cummings <cummings at kjchome.homeip.net> wrote:
> >
> > > I unplugged the wl-330g, turning it off.  then I plugged its power
> > > cable in and connected it to the PAP2 with a crossover cable. (it has
> > > a power cord and ethernet jack, seperate.)  I played around with the
> > > squence, trying the PAP2 with power first and so on, plugging in the
> > > crossover cable before the wl-330g's power cable, etc.  the phone was
> > > always plugged in.  I used the phone not long ago, so I "know" that
> > > the phone works ;)
> > >
> > > the best I could get were some pretty lights from the PAP2, then a
> > > blinking, intermittent light.  no dial-tone from the phone.
> >
> > I would think that if it matters at all, you want to cable it all up
> > with the power off to both devices.  Then power up the dl-330g, then
> > power up the PAP2.  If it works, then it will negotiate an IP address
> > with the wl-330g (or through it).  I have no idea if further
> > configuration of the PAP2 is then necessary.
> >

> yeah, I tried that sequence.
>

> > > this setup is premised on the wl-330g's ability to renegotiate the MAC
> > > on the fly?  I don't think it's that smart.  I don't have the source,
> > > but I looked into this previously.
> >
> > Its not re-nogotiation of the MAC address, but of an IP address to use
> > in the network.  IP addresses allow devices to have their packets routed
> > via the IP portion of TCP/IP.  MAC addresses only identify the
> > underlying hardware of a device.  While the MAC address is encoded into
> > your TCP/IP packets, it is not used for routing per se.  It may be used
> > by switches or bridges to limit unnecessary traffic on subnets, but does
> > not enter into TCP/IP configurations beyond that.
> >
> > What *should* occur is that your PAP2 should request an IP address on a
> > broadcast to the DHCP server on (or through) the wl-330g.  When it is
> > successful, the PAP2 will configure itself much like your eth0 ethernet
> > card does in your computer when it is connected instead.  This process
> > causes the proper routes to be set up in order that the TCP/IP packets
> > are delivered to their intended locations.  If it doesn't work, you
> > might have to put a network sniffer on the line to figure out why not
> > (which would complicate an intentionally simple hardware setup!).  At
> > least if you try this through a Linux computer, you could run some
> > sniffing software under Linux and look at the packets at both eth0 and
> > eth1, but that would require a fair expertise with TCP/IP to understand
> > what's going on....
> >
> > It all comes down to the capabilities built-in to the wl-330g, the PAP2,
> > and whether or not they will play with each other.  You should be able
> > to determine this by reading the manuals that come with each device.
> >
> > Sorry that this doesn't plag and play....  If it doesn't its not Linux's
> > fault!   B^)

> [...]

That 'minimal install' that you mention won't work. I also tried
installing a 'minimal' FC3 off disc 1, no-go. You need all three (for
some reason I have four.). I once successfully installed off of discs
1 & 2, however.

Dotan
http://lyricslist.com/lyrics/artist_albums/64/beatles.php
Beatles Song Lyrics