LVM problem - mounting old lvm with same name

Alasdair G Kergon agk at redhat.com
Tue Jun 21 15:45:06 UTC 2005

On Sat, Jun 18, 2005 at 11:09:59AM -0500, John Bray wrote:
> i did a clean install on a new disk for fc4.
> i need to mount my old fc3 disk and get some of the data off.

> but both, of course, are marked VolGroup00.  and because of this, i
> can't mount hdb2.

> what am i missing here?  how do i handle this?

Edit lvm.conf to hide the old disk. [with a filters line]

Then you can add the disk to the machine and lvm will ignore it.

Create a temporary 'lvm' directory somewhere else and copy
lvm.conf into it and reverse the filter so it *only* looks
at your old disk.

Set environment variable LVM_SYSTEM_DIR to your temp dir.
and run 'vgrename' to change the name of the VG.

Then get rid of the environ var & the temp dir and reset
the filter in lvm.conf so it sees everything again.

Alasdair
agk at redhat.com