newbie first computer

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Tue Jun 21 19:10:56 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 21 June 2005 2:14 pm, ron wrote:
> Hello Claude,
>
> Thank you for the kudzu tip. I finally made connection to msn. I
> discovered you must put MSN/ (in caps) before your logon name
> (MSN/<–user name goes here) with none windows software. After
> connecting my browser would not load anything, and searching in the
> instructions I found mention to kppp and to edit /etc/sysconfig/network
> and add GATEWAYDEV=ppp0
>
> It works browser works fine. Now log shows connection succeeded but the
> network admin tool shows not connected (it showed connected before
> changing file) but at least I am online.
>
> Now to set up email and I can send kudzu data.
>
> I am also having problems with installing software from discs that came
> with my sony lcd (to adjust picture settings) and my belkin ups (to
> install shutdown software). The cds are mounted and I can see a lot of
> windows files and some linux tar files that I can open I have no idea
> what to put were and what to execute.

I haven't had a lot of luck getting modem help on this list - it's sort of
outdated technology and you find even in many poorer parts of the world that
people have fast internet. I don't know if that's the full explanation, but
that's been my experience. Anyway, it sounds like you're on your way. Good
luck! I not only had to get a modem going, but had to get a way to do VT220
terminal emulation, which was an interesting project.

As far as getting your LCD and your Belkin products to 'talk' Linux, I'll be
surprised if you're going to find Linux versions of the apps on those CD's.
Some manufacturers have written Linux versions of their drivers and apps, but
very, very, few. But, if you do the research, you'll probably find someone
who has written applications in Linux to accomplish what you want - certainly
for adjusting the LCD - I'm not so sure about the Belkin.

--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA