alsa versus oss

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Tue Jun 21 20:50:33 UTC 2005

Am Di, den 21.06.2005 schrieb Mark Bidewell um 22:39:

> Zoran Spasojevic wrote:
>
> > How can I tell whether I am using alsa or oss?
> > And how can I tell my fedora to use one instead of the other?
> > Thanks,
> > Zoran
> >
> FC2 or higher uses only alsa

But some applications are still not able to use ALSA natively, for that
reason there is the OSS emulation in ALSA. To be seen i.e. when doing
/sbin/lsmod by the list of OSS compatibility modules. Within
applications you sometimes can choose which sound system is used, for
instance can be done within the xmms settings or mplayer.

Alexander

Fedora Core 2 GNU/Linux on Athlon with kernel 2.6.11-1.27_FC2smp
Serendipity 22:48:30 up 7:02, 17 users, 0.14, 0.32, 0.31