yum dependency errors with libssl and libcrypto

Michael Schwendt mschwendt.tmp0501.nospam at arcor.de
Wed Jun 22 04:02:10 UTC 2005

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 21:01:34 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:

> [I had assumed that -f was the same as --whatprovides .]

-f is short for --file and queries the RPM database about which
package owns the given file. A package can "provide" more than
just files.

> Unfortunately this doesn't seem to help with my problem,
> which is why I get a large number of dependency errors,
> all referring to libssl.so.5 or libcrypto.so.5 ,
> although both these appear to be in place,
> provided by the package openssl-0.9.7f-7.i686.rpm .

Under certain circumstances the contents of your local RPM database are
irrelevant, since packages in the configured repositories would be added
into the transaction set and would change a lot what you would end up
with.

> I'm not clear why there is a reference to openssl.i386 0:0.9.7a-42.1
> in the exerpt below;

What do you get for...?  rpm --query 'openssl*'

> this appears to be an old package which is no longer present.
> (I should say that I upgraded from FC-3 to FC-4,

It looks as if you still have old FC3 packages installed.

> [root at alfred tim]# yum update
> Setting up Update Process
> Setting up repositories
> pre-extras                100% |=========================|  951 B    00:00
> updates-released          100% |=========================|  951 B    00:00

What is the contents of /etc/yum.conf and /etc/yum.repos.d/*?