FC3 screen freezes

Nancy Merckle nancym at fellspt.charm.net
Thu Jun 23 04:22:24 UTC 2005

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005, Kenny Gow wrote:

> Nancy Merckle wrote:
>> Hi, All
>>
>> I'm new to FC3. A friend installed it for me over the Memorial Day weekend.
>> On several occasions over a 15-18 day time frame, when I came upstairs to
>> work on it, I found the screen frozen.  (Other times it was fine.)  The
>> only way I could get the system back was a reset or power down. Then one
>> night after work I came home to find the screen waiting on input for the
>> xorg.config program.  Since I didn't know how to handle it (then) I quit
>> out of it and did some Internet research.
>
> Have you tried disabling the openGL screensavers? Just a guess, but in the
> past I remember having some problems with screen lockups with some openGL
> screensavers so I deselected them. Also had some issues with the screensaver
> power management of my monitor.
>
> You didn't mention whether the screen lockups happened when you were logged
> in or logged out (with the login screen showing). I've had some different
> screen lockup issues with the login screen which I finally solved by adding a
> ServerFlags section to my xorg.conf file.
>
> --Kenny

Thanks for the reply Kenny.

I'm not familiar with what you mean by openGL screensavers.  I was able
to get FC4 installed tonight, and the screensaver is disabled.

As for the lockups, the only common thing I can think of is that I wasn't
doing anything in Linux for every occurance except one.  That time I think
I confused things and it went into a kernel panic.  (That was with MEPIS).
It happens most often when I leave the machine powered on overnight or
while I'm at work.

As for how I left the machine, I tried different things.  Leaving it on
the startup screen, and with my account open. I left it on the Linux side
and on the Windows side of the kvm and it didn't seem to make a
difference.

I haven't decided how I'm going to leave it tonight, for its first "test"
with FC4.  I'll also look into the the ServerFlags.

Nancy

nancym at charm.net  ..... (future) http://www.charm.net/~nancym/
The Kitties Page  ...........  http://members.aol.com/Mysnats/
My Sister's Karaoke Site ............  http://karaokeklub.com/