No account e-mail?

Bob Chiodini rchiodin at bellsouth.net
Fri Jun 24 15:55:01 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-06-24 at 09:34 -0600, Ashley M. Kirchner wrote:
>     I have several users who don't need a physical account but would
> still like to be able to send and receive email.  How can that be
> accomplished?
>
> --
> H | I haven't lost my mind; it's backed up on tape somewhere.
>   +--------------------------------------------------------------------
>   Ashley M. Kirchner <mailto:ashley at pcraft.com>   .   303.442.6410 x130
>   IT Director / SysAdmin / WebSmith             .     800.441.3873 x130
>   Photo Craft Imaging                       .     3550 Arapahoe Ave. #6
>   http://www.pcraft.com ..... .  .    .       Boulder, CO 80303, U.S.A.

Cyrus IMAP can do that, but tends to be complicated to set up, but is
very robust.  In FC4 cyrus IMAP is in extras.

If you are using dovecot then you could set them up with accounts and
set their shells to /bin/false or /sbin/nologin to prevent them from
actually logging in.

For remote users to send mail, you can configure sendmail
(via /etc/mail/sendmail.mc and /etc/mail/access) to relay for a given
set of hosts.  See /usr/share/sendmail-cf/README.

Bob...