Audio bookmark/cue feature

Ian Malone ibm21 at cam.ac.uk
Sat Jun 25 19:18:55 UTC 2005

Tony Nelson wrote:

 > At 12:29 PM +0100 6/25/05, Ian Malone wrote:

 >> ...but I don't see any way of overcoming the seperate window
 >> requirement in XMMS.

 > I know /nothing/ about Audacity, but many plugin systems allow working
 > with the current selection; could the plugin just repeat the
selection > if there is one, and put up a window otherwise?

Audacity is a wave editor, capable of looping/playing a selection
mainly for preview purposes.  I found it very useful when ripping
from audio tape.  There's no need for a plugin to handle selections
but, because it's an editor rather than a player, selection is geared
towards editing (similarly there are no playlists).  It supports
plugins for editing waveforms.

XMMS on the other hand has a plugin called RepeatIt which does
pretty much exactly what you said (the window only needs to be open
to toggle repeat or to change its bounds), and almost exactly what I
want.  I'm really just being a bit picky; I want a plugin that can
very conveniently let me define a loop for a while then break out of
it, as this is quite useful for language study, and excess windows
annoy me.  It seems that adding something directly to a player UI via
a plugin is a very rare ability.  At the moment I'm looking at noatun,
which has some very lightweight UIs, including one called `Excellent'
that could probably be easily modified.

--
imalone