Error while installing ATI Radeon proprietory driver fglrx on FC2

Clive at Rational clive at rational-communications.com
Sat Jun 25 23:34:42 UTC 2005

--- Kam Leo <kam.leo at gmail.com> wrote:

> Try the kernel-module-fglrx rpm from
> http://rpm.livna.org.  You will
> have to find one that matches your kernel.

Thanks for your very rapid reply.

The machine seems to be stable for hours at a time
i.e. not locking up. I have run glxgears for hours
with no problems caused.

I have had a message "segmentation error" once on the
console followed by a machine lock-up - and no further
diagnostics - so I see the ATI driver and this MesaGL
replacement as a big improvement over the standard
distribution support.

I am still intrigued as to what got changed between
FC2 and FC3 that caused the problem - otherwise this
clumsy fix will be needed by all ATI users in future.
Can a fix not be put back in the distribution?

I'm not interested in 3D performance - only accessing
the machine from remote using VNC & X - so I will
leave things as they are unless I hit new problems.

What is this kernel-module-fglrx rpm supposed to
deliver or fix?

Regards

Clive