how can i access usb memory stick as a non-root

Steven W. Orr steveo at syslang.net
Mon Jun 27 15:58:44 UTC 2005

On Monday, Jun 27th 2005 at 19:48 +0530, quoth harshavardhanreddy mandeepala:

=>hi
=>i am using linux fedora core 3.
=>i want to access usb memorystick as a non-root user.
=>i can mount and umount as a root,but when i want to do it as a "guest"(non-root)
=>it is giving as a  "only root can do it"
=> i have changed the ownership of  /dev directory  to "guest" but still
=>it is giving same error.
=>even i added these fallowing lines to my /etc/fstab
=>
=>/dev/sda1 /mnt/usbstick vfat noauto,user,umask=000 0 0
=>
=>still it is giving same message as a  only root can do it.
=>so
=>If u know the solution plz mail me to                hvreddy1110 at gmail.com

I don't know the solution to your problem, but also add noatime to your
fstb entry. You only get a limited number of writes to a stick and if
every ls command updates the accesstime then you're using it up faster
than you might think.

--
steveo at syslang dot net TMMP1 http://frambors.syslang.net/
Do you have neighbors who are not frambors?