APT-GET Repositories for FC4

Michael Schwendt mschwendt.tmp0501.nospam at arcor.de
Tue Jun 28 22:34:53 UTC 2005

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 15:00:14 -0700, Kam Leo wrote:

> > > Their position is that a)  there are
> > > no apt-get mirrors or b) they cannot legally reference available
> > > apt-get repos.
> >
> > a) is wrong [see information in the mail you replied to],
>
> I referenced their position (April 2005, FC4-t2 release). Since I did
> not install any of the test releases I cannot verity if Freshrpms or
> Fedora.us had FC4 apt repos enabled at that time.

It's end of June 2005, so argueing about information from April 2005 makes
no sense.

> > b) is correct.
>
> Let's see: "mirror-select" is no longer supported. sources.list and
> sources.list.d are empty. A end-users are required to locate and
> configure apt repos before use.
>
> What is the point of Extras providing this package if it is that
> devoid of features?

It is still software which can be used for accessing selfmade/local Apt
repositories. It's just missing configuration of default repositories. Apt
still has some fans. It may be supported less than before, kind of
deprecated also because it doesn't support multilib installations. But
where would be the point in dropping it completely without giving users a
final chance to migrate to Yum? This is Extras, not Core. Apt could still
be dropped completely around FC5, for instance. It could also be continued
to be maintained in Extras as long as there is interest in that. Who knows?
Maybe some developer picks it up as new maintainer. Options, speculations,
whatever...

> Perhaps they should just drop the package. The apt repos can then
> provide a package that works immediately after installation.

An empty sources list directory means any 3rd party repository could
insert repository configuration files there.

In a similar way as you argue about Apt, some users argue about media
players. They say an audio player is useless if it cannot play back MP3
files. But since only 3rd party repositories provide MP3 plugins for the
audio player, that is no reason to drop the player from Core/Extras.

--
Michael Schwendt <mschwendt at users.sf.net>
Fedora Core release 4 (Stentz) - Linux 2.6.11-1.1369_FC4