Setting up a microphone

Angus Leeming angus.leeming at btopenworld.com
Tue Jun 28 23:56:28 UTC 2005

Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> I have no exertise on this, but the fact that you are hearing  a tiny
> amount of sound doesn't not ncessarily mean that it is working, coould
> be just some sound feeding through the cicuittry. I would suggest a
> graphical mixer  (Kmix) and playing in the levels/switches there.

Oh, believe me I have! With both kmix and aumix and (briefly --- urgh!)
alsamixer

As for the sound, I have saved my recording (made with krec) to file and
then played it back. It's me talking alright. If I don't direct my shout
directly into the mic, then nothing is recorded.

Connecting through the mic-in port is meant to make use of the sound card's
built-in preamp to boost the signal level to something useable, right?
It's working when I reboot under Windows. I wonder if the preamp is turned
off at the moment under linux?

This post (OpenBSD) http://www.unixboard.de/vb3/showthread.php?t=9107
suggests that that is at least a possibility:

$ mixerctl -a
inputs.mic.preamp=off

How do I go about probing that info here I wonder. Google isn't proving
very useful...

I see lots of stuff on google about "muted microphones" but somehow the
answers have never materialized. Or I'm looking in the wrong place :-(

Angus