Restarting the mouse after KVM switch

David Gavin dgavin at davegavin.com
Wed Jun 29 15:34:38 UTC 2005

On Wed, June 29, 2005 11:08, Dotan Cohen said:
> Hi list,
> We have two computers here at home, so I set up a KVM. Sometimes when
> switching back to the FC4 machine (Duron 1.3gHz, 512 ram) The mouse
> does not work, but the keyboard does. What to restart to re-enable the
> mouse? I would rather not restart X because there is usually work open
> on the desktop.
>
> The fault may be with the KVM because the WinXP box also loses the
> mouse sometimes when switching. But restarting the machine (either of
> them) always gets the mouse back. I believe, in keeping with popular
> linux theory, that there is something that I can do to avoid
> restarting FC4.
>
> Er, OT: does anyone know what to do in windows to get the mouse back?
> I acually haven't researched that yet, as I am not familiar with any
> resources for windows users (other than google).
>
> Dotan Cohen
> http://lyricslist.com/lyrics/artist_albums/389/osbourne_ozzy.php
> Osbourne, Ozzy Song Lyrics

 Try CTL+ALT+F1 - that'll take you back to text mode and then ALT+F7 which
should take you back to your X session. That works most of the time for
me, but if you're using an un-powered KVM switch you may be stuck with no
mouse. It seems that powered switches are able to maintain the PS/2 mouse
signal while switching where the un-powered ones sometimes "hiccup" and
lose the mouse.
 The Belkin FAQ for their KVM suggests that you make sure that the mouse
is not moving at all when you switch systems.

Dave Gavin