VI vs VIM and why won't it update...

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Wed Jun 29 15:57:17 UTC 2005

Am Mi, den 29.06.2005 schrieb Randall Shaw um 17:39:

> FC3.i386
>
> Today I finally got tired of using a very wimpy, thin VI editor than I am
> used too. Our other servers run a vi editor that has all sorts of features,
> some of which I love, being the autocmd's and coloring.

> Ok... So it DID install, but then why is there an old 'vi' still lingering,
> and it wasn¹t changed with the new code?

There are people who only want vi and not the shiny things you like with
vim.

> I guess I am confused by this program and how it is supposed to be
> installed. I would have figured yum put the files in the right place, and
> adjust what needed to be adjusted for it to work as expected.
>
> So... What could I do at this point? Do I simply "mv /usr/bin/vim /bin/vi" ?
> Or is that like the worst thing I could do, hehehe. Or, worst yet... Retrain
> my fingers to type "vim" instead of "vi" ?? OMG NO!

No, please do not do that (moving vim over vi binary.

> -Randall Shaw

$ rpm -qf /etc/profile.d/vim.sh
vim-enhanced-6.3.054-0.fc3.1

cat /etc/profile.d/vim.sh
if [ -n "$BASH_VERSION" -o -n "$KSH_VERSION" -o -n "$ZSH_VERSION" ];
then
  # for bash, pdksh and zsh, only if no alias is already set
  alias vi >/dev/null 2>&1 || alias vi=vim
fi

If vim-enhanced is installed, then vi is an alias to vim, so that when
entering "vi" you will get "vim" with all the bells and whistles. Well,
you have to re-login so that the profile is read in.

Alexander

Serendipity 17:54:12 up 4 days, 46 users, load average: 0.18, 0.39, 0.42