Restarting the mouse after KVM switch

John Bray jmblin at comcast.net
Wed Jun 29 18:02:30 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-06-29 at 17:08 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> Hi list,
> We have two computers here at home, so I set up a KVM. Sometimes when
> switching back to the FC4 machine (Duron 1.3gHz, 512 ram) The mouse
> does not work, but the keyboard does. What to restart to re-enable the
> mouse? I would rather not restart X because there is usually work open
> on the desktop.
>
> The fault may be with the KVM because the WinXP box also loses the
> mouse sometimes when switching. But restarting the machine (either of
> them) always gets the mouse back. I believe, in keeping with popular
> linux theory, that there is something that I can do to avoid
> restarting FC4.
>
> Er, OT: does anyone know what to do in windows to get the mouse back?
> I acually haven't researched that yet, as I am not familiar with any
> resources for windows users (other than google).
>
> Dotan Cohen
> http://lyricslist.com/lyrics/artist_albums/389/osbourne_ozzy.php
> Osbourne, Ozzy Song Lyrics

hey dotan -

this has been a common problem for a long time.  the most commonly used
solution appears to be to force the kernel to use a particular mouse
protocol.  for me, it worked to add this to the grub.conf line for the
kernel:  psmouse.proto=imps

others have found other protocols.

but, i have never had any problems with the xp box getting confused, so
you may have some other problem going on.

john