Some thoughts for the future

Brian Mury b.mury at ieee.org
Thu Jun 30 01:25:14 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-06-29 at 18:12 -0700, Richard Kelsch wrote:

> This may annoy the command line or simplicity die-hards out there, but
> eye candy is desirable in a GUI.  Anyone saying to the contrary never
> enjoyed the movie "Hackers."

Well, I've never seen that movie, but anyway... I disagree that eye
candy is desirable in a UI.

Eye candy looks cool. I've had various pieces of eye candy on various
platforms over the years. I've eventually removed them all. My
experience is that what looks cool and what is usable is usually not the
same. Give me a nice clean UI without the candy, thanks. Eye candy might
make for cool screenshots to upload to some website, but if I'm going to
spend a significant amount of time using a machine, usability trumps
aesthetics every time.

Function over form, ya know...