FC4 x86_64 dies with heavy SATA RAID load

Mark Miksis mark.nospamplease at miksis.com
Thu Jun 30 03:59:02 UTC 2005

Peter Arremann wrote:
> Actually, I have some 9500s that are finally getting stable. Each new
> driver revision and each new firmware is better than the last and by
> now, I have no issues (also running the x86_64 but on amd hardware).

Thanks for the encouraging feedback.  It appears that the driver in FC4
is a bit old (and doesn't seem to correspond to a 3Ware release).  Are
you running SMP?

> Anyone who asks me, usually gets a 8500 controller as recommendation
> because unlike the 9500s, those are actually rock solid. You should
> try the firmware updates and maybe the driver (if there is one newer
> than the one in the kernel you're running) and see if you can't get
> your box stable that way - as I said before, it worked for me.

I plan to compile the latest driver tomorrow...

> Also, you might want to get an AMD system next time if you have heavy
> IO and more than 4GB ram - the AMD iommu requires no bounce
> buffers...

Interesting.  Actually, my IO needs are not *that* heavy, but I first
encountered the problem when trying to restore a bunch of backups from
my previous machine.