chvt fails if run from acpid event handlers - and external scripts can't be called (why?)

Vincenzo Ciancia vincenzo_yahoo_addressguard-gmane at yahoo.it
Thu Jun 30 11:00:19 UTC 2005

Hi all, I have a bug which I can't trace back, but it happens that kwin
starts using 99% of my cpu power, and I have to kill and restart it. The
only thing that works is the power down button.

So I first thought to write a script that kills kwin and restarts it. But I
can't seem to be able to call an external script from an acpid handler -
might this be due to selinux or something? - it says "permission denied".

I tried to simply put "chvt 1" in the event handler but it says "Couldnt get
a file descriptor referring to the console" and I really am upset :) I can
shutdown the machine but I can't switch my foreground console.

Can someone please give an hint?

Bye

Vincenzo

--
Please note that I do not read the e-mail address used in the from field but
I read vincenzo_ml at yahoo dot it