FC3 --> ubuntu --> FC4

Ben Steeves ben.steeves at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 15:35:25 UTC 2005

On 6/30/05, James Pifer <jep at obrien-pifer.com> wrote:
\
> I'm not even talking about at the same time. If I close my laptop
> display (or boot up with it closed) I should be able to use my external
> display at a different resolution. At one time I had FC3 working like
> this. Windows is able to do it (and no, I'm not interested going back to
> Windows!).

The magic piece I think you're missing (at least you didn't mention
it) is xrandr.  As long as your xorg.conf has both 1280x800 and
1280x1024 defined as available resolutions, xrandr ought to be able to
switch between them easily.  I did this all the time with my IBM T30's
1400x1050 LCD, my 1600x1200 CRT, and my 1024x768 projector.  Worked
perfectly as long as I remembered to change the resolution *before*
suspending the laptop.

Ben Steeves                     _                    bcs at metacon.ca
 The ASCII ribbon campaign     ( )            ben.steeves at gmail.com
http://www.metacon.ca/bcs      / \     Yahoo Messenger: ben_steeves