Some thoughts for the future

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jun 30 16:24:56 UTC 2005

Mike McEldowney wrote:

> Mike McCarty wrote:
>
>> I agree with the sentiment about diversity. No one size fits all. I
>> like the
>> way Firefox is more adaptable than IE. More of the features can be
>> "customized". But you know something? Not all features even deserve
>> to exist. IMO, tabbed browsing is one of them. Not the best feature ever
>> dreamed up. I'd like all the features to be configurable, even
>> disableable.
>> It would be nice NOT TO HAVE TABS AT ALL.
>

> I myself LOVE tabs in my browser.  I believe that tabbed browsing is
> one of the best features ever developed in a browser.  I also use
> tabbed consoles extensively on my machine.  Why would I want multiple
> windows of the same application taking up system resources when I can
> tab them and navigate faster with less system strain?   Not to mention
> that when I want the console or browser out of the way to do something
> else, I don't have to minimize multiple windows, just one.

Did you read what I wrote? I am asking for more ability to customize.
And why should having multiple instances of an application running take
up more resources? I happen not to like tabbed browsing. You do.
Fine. How about a system that allows features to be disabled? Is that
too much to ask?

>> So, it seems to me, that your own prejudices are showing a little bit.
>

> <flame on>
>
> Really?  And yours aren't?  Customization allows us to change the
> software to meet our specific wants and prejudices.

I didn't say that mine weren't. Of course mine are.

> (snip)
>
>> I find that I'm frequently
>> accidentally doing things with the mouse because I can't just disable
>> "features".
>

> And I bet you would prefer your car ran on rails so that you'd stop
> running into things after you disable that stupid steering wheel.

Flames definitely not needed, appreciated, or useful.

> <flame off>
>
> All that said, I do agree that turning features off should also be an
> option.  If you don't like tabs, you should be able to turn them off.
> If you don't want to click with your middle button, you should be able
> to turn it off.  If you can program and can donate the time, you
> should consider helping add those options to those projects.

Hum. So. You flame me, but agree.

> Have a great day!

The sentiment seems a little hollow, given your tone.

Mike