Wireless cards

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jun 30 18:03:44 UTC 2005

John Summerfied wrote:

> Mike McCarty wrote:
>
>> John Summerfied wrote:

>>> Please, don't buy a card based on its working with ndiswrapper.
>>> Instead, reward those vendors who help us by providing or helping
>>> with Linux support.
>>>
>>> A Windows driver could potentially do Bad Things to your system.
>>>
>> A Linux driver could potentially do Bad Things to your system. So?
>

> If you have a linux driver, you (probably) have the source and can fix
> it, hire someone to fix it etc etc just as with any other Linux software.

I was reacting to the implicit "But a Linux driver is a Good Thing(tm)".
I don't like the "Windows X is a Bad Thing(tm) but Linux X is a Good
Thing(tm)"
attitude so often manifested in Certain Circles.

>> IMO, the fewer fingers in the pie, generally, the better. Making drivers
>> from one OS try to run on another does not sound like a good idea to me.
>> Whether they be Windows or Linux or whatever is irrelevant.
>>
>>> What do you do if the Windows driver's broken? What do you suppose
>>> the vendor will do? Laugh?
>>>
>> In my experience, they fix it, and offer upgrades by free download
>> from their
>
> If it doesn't work under Linux? you gotta be joking.

Read the question I answered.

"What do you do if the Windows driver's broken?"

I did not see where that question has anything related to Linux in it.

It helps, when responding to e-mail, actually to read what is being
written in its context.

[snip]

Mike