FC4 good new tech, bad legacy support

Richard Kelsch rich at csst.net
Thu Jun 30 22:02:38 UTC 2005

Rahul Sundaram wrote:

> Hi
>
>> It works on FC3 without problems and that's gcc32.  The "broken"
>> theory seems to fall apart there.  Thanks for the attempt though, it
>> is appreciated.
>>
> If it works with GCC 3.2 thats exactly what compat-gcc-32 package
> supplies. I dont see a problem
>
> regards
> Rahul

Yet it fails.  Hmmm... there must be something more than that
happening.  Perhaps the gcc4 compiled library refused to "speak" to the
gcc32 perl module, or even gcc4 Perl refused to work with the gcc32
module ... or....  You see the problem?  Neither do I.  Those
compatibility packages were installed and it didn't make a difference.
Something must be wrong.

Here, try this to experiment:

1>  Get "libmad" from the "freshrpms" tree.
2>  Get "Audio::Mad" from within CPAN.  Watch the compile fail
spectacularly.
3>  Do a "look Audio::Mad" to be put in a shell in the build directory
for Audio::Mad
4>  Edit the Makefile and change all of the "gcc" to "gcc32" and save it
5>  Type "make" and then "make install" (it _seems_ to work here)
6>  Type "man Audio::Mad" and copy that sample script (it works as is)
you can modify if you want.
7>  Pick your favorite MP3 and run the script.  It fails to work as
claimed.  In FC3 this works fine in FC4 it fails.

If you can fix it and document the method, then maybe this issue can be
a non-issue.  Until then gcc32 and its libraries don't work as
advertised, at least it appears that way.

Rich