linux-2.6.14 won't compile FC2/FC3

Bill Rees breeze at smsonline.com
Tue Nov 1 00:59:59 UTC 2005

    Has anyone had any luck completing a "make modules_install" of the
2.6.14
linux kernel on a gcc3.3 sytstem?  I've tried two systems, one an FC2
and one
an FC3,  and both fail with the following error message:

       if [ -r System.map -a -x /sbin/depmod ]; then /sbin/depmod -ae -F
System.map  2.6.14; fi
 make: *** [_modinst_post] Error 137

    Running the commnad "/sbin/depmod -ae -F System.map 2.6.14" from the cli
    results in a "Killed" message.

I'm running with the depmod contained in the package:
module-init-tools-3.1-0.pre5.3
I havent found a good definition for Error 137 and google results imply
it means
"Value not recognized."

The make modules_install works just fine on an FC4 system (with gcc4).

Bill